BBC Sport

Subscribe to BBC Sport feed BBC Sport
BBC Sport - Football
Updated: 58 min 21 sec ago

Besiktas refuse Fenerbahce replay after violence

Thu, 26/04/2018 - 23:03
Besiktas coach Senol Gunes had his head stapled after being struck by an object thrown from the crowd

Besiktas say they will not turn up to replay their Turkish Cup semi-final second leg against rivals Fenerbahce.

The original match at Fenerbahce's Sukru Saracoglu Stadium was abandoned after 57 minutes when Besiktas coach Senol Gunes was hit on the head by an object thrown from the crowd.

Football chiefs ordered the game to be completed behind closed doors on 3 May.

But Besiktas issued a statement on Thursday to say they will not be taking part.

"We have been on the field for 115 years, we have won, had draws or lost on the field. In order not to accept being losers, we will not show up," the club said.

Gunes, 65, was taken to hospital after being struck on the head while the game was goalless.

The two teams drew the first leg 2-2 in Besiktas.

Besiktas boss Senol Gunes fell to the ground after being hit on the head Gunes later received medical treatment at a hospital
Categories: More News

Southampton's Boufal training with U23s after row with boss Hughes

Thu, 26/04/2018 - 22:52
Boufal (left) has scored twice in 30 appearances for Southampton this season

Southampton midfielder Sofiane Boufal has been ordered to train with the club's under-23 side and will miss Saturday's match with Bournemouth following a row with boss Mark Hughes.

The Moroccan, who was on the bench for April's 3-2 loss to Chelsea, reportedly angered Hughes by refusing to warm up.

The two are believed to have then clashed later in the dressing room.

"Unfortunately, Sofi made a mistake, which he acknowledged and he has acknowledged to me since," said Hughes.

"At the moment he's training with the Under-23s. He's missed a few days' training because he was ill.

"Given where we are at the moment he's probably best served training with a different group just to make people aware the situation we found ourselves in wasn't what should have happened.

"He understands that now. He probably needs to rebuild a bit of trust with us and his team mates."

Relegation-threatened Southampton are 18th in the table, four points from safety with four games remaining.

Hughes, who replaced the sacked Mauricio Pellegrino as Southampton boss in March, has failed to win any of his four Premier League games in charge so far, losing three of them.

Categories: More News

Wembley deal 'could take eight to 12 weeks', says Fulham owner Khan

Thu, 26/04/2018 - 22:06
Shahid Khan bought NFL franchise Jacksonville Jaguars in 2011

Fulham owner Shahid Khan says he hopes a deal to buy Wembley Stadium from the Football Association will be completed in eight to 12 weeks.

Khan, who also owns NFL side Jacksonville Jaguars, has made an offer thought to be worth £900m.

It is understood he would pay £600m for the stadium and the FA will continue to run the £300m-valued Club Wembley hospitality business.

"This offer makes a lot of sense for us," he told BBC Sport.

"When I say us, I'm talking about the Jaguars, NFL, Wembley, and I think it also makes a lot of sense for the FA and the English football team.

"I'm pretty confident - that's why we're putting our name, our reputation on the line to get it done."

Khan said England games would remain at Wembley and he would retain the stadium's name.

BBC Sport understands selling Wembley would allow the FA to make a major investment into football at grassroots level.

Pakistan-born Khan has a current net worth of $7.2bn (£5.2bn) and is the 217th richest person in the world, according to the 2018 Forbes rich list.

He said he understands fans' concerns over his offer for the 90,000-seat stadium, which is the largest in the United Kingdom.

"I think they have to understand the value and the attraction for myself," Khan added.

"We'll leave the tradition and the stadium itself. Even though this is a new stadium, it does need upgrades.

"Under this arrangement the FA retains the right, the revenue, and that is really the most positive part of Wembley for the FA. So they will be retaining it and obviously we want it to be there."

The 67-year-old added that the deal would make lead to "more meaningful discussions" over a permanent NFL franchise in London.

"NFL has been playing in London since 2007," he said. "Until now, NFL doesn't have a stadium solution or have a home. And it can't work with a Premier League club, because of the schedule. It does work very well with Wembley, so I think it makes it closer."

According to the FA's latest financial results, it still owes £113m to public bodies such as Sport England, the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, plus the London Development Agency, which helped pay to build the stadium, which cost £757m and opened in 2007.

In January, the FA said